Minimal Invasive Surgery has started its research activity since the beginning of this year (2008) under the supervision of vice chancellery of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences.
Many medical procedures are called minimally invasive, such as hypodermic injection, air-pressure injection, sub dermal implants, endoscopy, percutaneous surgery, laparoscopic surgery, arthroscopic surgery, cryosurgery, microsurgery, keyhole surgery, endovascular surgery (such as angioplasty), coronary catheterization, permanent spinal and brain electrodes, stereotactic surgery, The Nuss Procedure, radioactivity-based medical imaging methods, such as gamma camera, Positron emission tomographyand SPECT (single photon emission tomography). Related procedures are image-guided surgery, robotic surgery and interventional radiology.
Minimally invasive surgery has less operative trauma for the patient than an equivalent invasive procedure. It may be more or less expensive. Operative time is longer, but hospitalization time is shorter. It causes less pain and scarring, speeds recovery, and reduces the incidence of post-surgical complications, such as adhesions. Some studies have compared heart surgery. However, minimally invasive surgery is not necessarily minor surgery that is only required by regional anesthesiais. In fact, most of these procedures still requires general anesthesia to be administered beforehand.
- Introduction, maintenance, and strengthening the position of Research in the field of endoscopic surgery in the province, national and international
- Developing relationships and communication between academic and international places
- Increasing community awareness related to surgical endoscopic technology
- Developing the field of creativity and innovation
- Conducting, facilitating, and making systematic research projects related to endoscopic surgery based on priorities set in accordance with need assessment
- Development subsidiary endoscopy Surgery Research Center parts in Mashhad University of Medical Sciences
- Encouraging and empowering researchers in research projects for endoscopy surgery
- Continuing cooperation with industry in order to serve the technical endoscopy surgical technology